As an avid lover of wandering, I have traveled the across the world dozens of times, thoroughly explored 6 continents, all the while developing a profound passion for the world. Wanting to travel and plan new trips constantly, there are still a couple of places that I am dying to visit! Having explored prime Asian destinations, the beauty of Europe, some South-American exoticism, a piece of Africa, and Oceania (Australia & New Zealand), there is still so much to be explored. Since I research constantly I wanted to do a piece on the places I WISH to go…
1. Madagascar… Like no place else on earth, this fertile island located off the South-Eastern coast of Africa is home to 5% of the world’s plant and animal species. 165 million years of evolution, Madagascar has slowly transformed into a land that beholds the most mysterious forms of plants and wildlife. With 70 different varieties of lemur, home to the largest bird in that ever lived (the elephant bird), bottle-shaped baobab trees, and spiny octopus trees, Madagascar may be the “Pandora” of our planet. The culture in Madagascar is just as fascinating as the environment. Drenched in Taboo and magical qualities, the people of Madagascar assign a supernatural attribute to their land and every aspect of their surroundings. A fascinating place, Madagascar is on the top of my list.
2. Bhutan…A country nestled between Tibet and Nepal, Bhutan remains the last preserved Buddhist Himalayan Kingdom. It has been three decades since Bhutan has let visitors experience this magical land in the clouds. With enchanting temples and captivating religious festivals, you can see a wonderfully intact culture in it’s original environment. The hike up to “Tiger’s Den” Monastery along the jagged granite cliffs to meet spiritual leaders and people looks absolutely fascinating. A journey to this un-touched mecca for Buddhism is close to the top of my list.
3. Antarctica…Recently I heard that Antarctica is becoming more and more fragile, and visitors will soon be banned from visiting this epic destination. Having always wanted to visit beautifully cold Antarctica, I feel now is the time to go! If your interested in an Arctic holiday experience your only option is to sign up for a cruise and experience the journey from the deck of your luxury boat. No hotels, restaurants, or city in general, this experience is truly different and a exciting adventure. With various stops to ice masses and to see the wildlife, a journey to Antarctica sounds ethereal and memorable. Also, I love that you stop through Argentina and get to experience a little South American flare before visiting this icy and mysterious continent.
4. Maldives…A paradise composed of 26 atolls in the Indian Ocean, the Maldives are a dream come true. With plenty of sun, sea, and sand, this island nation is full of gorgeous lagoons, coral forests, and a dazzling culture. Beneath lovely Sri Lanka, the Maldives look heavenly and somewhere I would love to spend some precious time in the near future.
5. Saariselka, Finland…For a nordic adventure, journey up to Northern Europe to the Finnish town of Saariselka. Skiing galore, dog-sleding, and a true winter-wonderland, this region looks glorious. What really drew me to this town was the Igloo Village of Kakslauttanen. You can stay in this windowed ice hotel where you can stare at the northern lights from your ultra-insulated sleeping bag. What better a way to witness the Aurora Borealis then in an igloo in the middle of a snowy forest.
6. Malta…With 7,000 years of history, the Maltese Islands are steeped with culture and antiquity. Located in the Mediterranean between Europe and Africa, Malta’s honey-colored architecture and bright blue ocean backdrop make this a stunning place to visit. Malta is said to be an “open-air museum” due to is preserved history and ability to see the city like it was centuries ago. The nightlife and restaurants are said to be spectacular, and the activities during the day are endless. A European island I would love to visit, Malta looks pristine and picturesque.
7. Seychelles…Located off of Africa, ribboned with white sand, big boulders, and lush rainforests, the Seychelles are a lovely tropical oasis. A paradigm for eco-tourism, this cluster of islands is great for bird watching and to spot the native tortoise. With charming island villages the Seychelles are a heavenly destination with culture, opportunity for sublime relaxation, and your ticket to paradise.